Chinese New Year is a new year celebration for the Chinese of their traditional calendar. This calendar is generally known as Lunar New Year. The first day of the Chinese New Year begins by appearing a new moon between January 21 to February 20. This festival of the new year observes about 23 days.
The Lunar New Year is a public holiday in Greater China. Most of the businesses, schools, government offices, non-government offices are closed. This is an off day for general peoples, and peoples of all ages in China celebrate it with their family.
When is Chinese New Year in 2021?
In 2020, the Lunar New Year will be held on the 25th of January (Saturday). The date is based on the appearing moon. So, the date may vary and the date of the Chinese New Year in 2020 is between 21 January – 20 February. This new year date falls on different dates in the Gregorian Calendar.
History of the Chinese New Year
This festival is also called the Spring Festival. One of China’s mythological emperor Shun came to the throne more than 4000 years ago. He ordered his ministers to worship the earth and heaven. From that day, the Chinese Calendar starts. Later China started using the Gregorian Calendar in 1911.
Celebration of the Chinese New Year
- Many peoples od China clean their homes to welcome the spring festival. They decorate their homes with red lanterns, Chinese New Year posters on their wall, etc. Peoples wear new clothes and enjoy the day with their family. Various activities like Dragon dance, beating drums, Lion dance, striking gongs, etc.
- May your days be as glittery as a diamond, may your friends be as good as gold, may your heart stay as green as an emerald, and may your soul remain as pure as a pearl.
- Happy New Year! Always welcome the new morning with a new spirit, a smile on your face, love in your heart and good thoughts in your mind.
- May wealth always come your way. May it be auspicious and as you wish. A Charm to Bring Satisfaction and Happiness Year by Year.
- Happy New Year, I wish you good health and lasting prosperity.
- When the mid-night bell rings tonight, let it signify new and better things for you. Let it signify a realization of all the things you wish for. Let it signify a year of courage and wisdom. Wishing you a very, very, very prosperous year.
- I give you endless brand new good wishes. Please accept them as a new
remembrance of our lasting friendship.