The traditional South African Father’s Day celebration has its origins in the early nineteenth century when ordinary citizens in the Transkei founded what we know today as Soweto. It was during this period that a group of men who happened to be among the poorest and most backward citizens of the colony decided to commemorate the fact that they had survived and succeeded despite many odds. They decided to celebrate the day by holding a game known as Tukohama, which means “come on you”. This game was a source of much pride for the people because they were able to prove that they could win against any enemy.
Today, there are still a number of towns in South Africa where people still play this game, which is organized by the local football association. There is also a soccer club called Dieppe Dolphins, who organize regular games at the municipality stadium. It is these matches that can help people learn about the traditions and history that went along with the formation of their very country.
Most of the other countries across the world have their own version of Father’s Day. In Canada, it is known as O-Day, while in the United States it is officially known as Father’s Day. When we speak of South African Father’s Day, it is widely acknowledged that the event is something that is unique and different. It is a day set apart from the rest of the occasions and celebrations in the country. It is not merely about giving thanks, but actually celebrating the association between father and child.
It is an event that is celebrated at every single family home, irrespective of whether the head of the household is a father or not. Most families also observe separate days for their daughters and sons. On Mother’s day and Father’s day, they celebrate as one, making it a special day for the both of them.
Happy Father’s Day in South Africa 2021 Quotes, Status
- Happy Father’s Day to the best father in the universe. I love you!
- Dear Father, Happy Father’s Day to you! You are the best!
- Happy Father’s Day! May God always shower you with boundless happiness!
- Happy Father’s Day! You mean everything to me. I love you so much!
- Thanks to every father in the world for making this world a better place for us. Happy Father’s Day!
- Having an amazing dad like you is a real blessing. Happy Father’s Day, Dad!
- Fathers are real superheroes. They may not have superpowers but they always have a super heart and a super spirit. Happy Fathers Day to all Dads!
- Happy Father’s day to you, Dad! Thank you for always taking up my side in any argument and saving me from mom’s scolds till now! Love you!
- I know I never tell you this often. But I love you, dad.
- Happy Fathers Day! You have always been the most supportive and friendly dad in the world.
- Happy Fathers Day! You always made me feel special with your love and care
- Happy Father’s Day! You are the real superman. Thanks for everything you do.
- Thanks for making all the sacrifices silently and working hard just to get us a better life! I love you, happy fathers day dad!
- Happy fathers day, daddy. May you receive much joy and stay blessed!
- I am lucky to have you in my life. You are the best dad in the whole universe. I love you! Happy Father’s Day 2021!
- I’m a lucky daughter cause I’ve got a Dad so sweet that all my friends wish they had. Happy Fathers Day Papa!
- Thank you for always being the shield that protects our family from sorrow and despair. Our kids must be feeling so blessed for having such a wonderful father. Happy Fathers Day, Husband!
- Dear Dad, Happy Father’s Day! You have put every superhero on shame because you are stronger than Hulk and smarter than Ironman!
- Happy Father’s Day, Dad! Thank You for always having my back!
- I can never Thank God enough for the best gift of my life. He made me the happiest by giving you as my Dad! Happy Fathers Day Daddy!
- A father is always a guiding light to his children whose love shows the way. Happy Father’s Day.
There are a number of events that happen on this day. The traditional game that is played on this day, called Dama, involves throwing logs towards a fired-out fire. The participants all line up, face toward the target, and let fly with their logs. If the log makes it to the lit log, it is considered to be a passed attempt, and father and son share a moment of peace and happiness.
Along with this game, the community also celebrates by having a barbecue. This is where a dish is prepared that is served to the guests. Usually, it is roti, but sometimes other food items are cooked as well. In most South African communities, apart from the celebration of the day, there are also sporting events organized. Some of these include fishing tournaments, horse racing, and soccer games. Thus, for those who happen to be from the town of Cape Town and want to spend some quality time with their father, a trip to the game grounds would definitely be a great idea.