Happy Mother’s Day has become the norm for many people around the world, but there is a lot of tradition and custom that surrounds this day in different countries. In the United States, the traditional date is typically Mother’s Day, and this has become the popular choice for a lot of people. It was also the day that President Theodore Roosevelt gave his first official speech as President, calling upon Americans to help make Mother’s Day a permanent holiday. On this day in France, as well, people pay tribute to their mothers as they celebrate her accomplishments and sacrifices.
France has had its fair share of bad days during her history. The famous writer Madame Bovril was executed in 1793 for her views against the French monarchy. The Directory of the Princes contained many names of women, all of whom were either executed or put into exile. The next Queen, Marie Antoinette was not so favored by her husband, Louis XIV, who canceled her marriage and made her spend the remainder of her life in the royal house. Nevertheless, she still managed to celebrate the day – sometimes in secret!
France has gone through several changes over the years. The Revolution happened just as the English did in England, with King Louis XVI removing the Monarchy from power. A new constitutional monarchial government was installed, with Napoleon Bonaparte becomes the latest to rule France. Some people believe that the changes which took place during these years had an impact on our culture, as the majority of people who follow international news today are French.
Today, we celebrate Mother’s Day in France just as we do every year – as a public holiday. This special day is a time for us to show our love and respect for mothers. This is a time when many people look forward to celebrating the bond between mother and child, and also between people of all ages. There are special activities and parades, as well as many special gifts and food items that are given out.
Mother’s Day wishes
- Happy Mother’s Day to a woman who deserves a medal for putting up with me all these years.
- Mom, thank you so much for everything you’ve done for me. Happy Mother’s Day!
- I wish one day I could grow up to become as graceful, as strong, as loving as you are. Wishing Happy Mother’s Day to the mom who inspires me.
- Miss you Mum, can’t wait to be reunited so we can celebrate properly. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day and thanks for everything!
- Ma, you’re the light of my life. You taught me how to stand up and be my own person. You’re my guide and I love you. Happy Mother’s Day.
- You’re not a regular mom. You’re a cool mom. Correction- You’re the coolest mom. I’m so grateful for all that you are and all that you do. Happy Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day quotes
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” —Unknown
- “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Charley Benetto
- “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” —Leroy Brownlow
- “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
- “My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” —Lisa Leslie
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” —Maya Angelou
The main highlight of this particular day is that, as we do so, we also get to appreciate all that motherhood has given us throughout the years. Mothers everywhere know that they have far more responsibilities than their children do. As a mother, you have the duty of looking after your children, looking after their needs, teaching them, feeding them and ensuring that they are growing up healthily. Throughout the year, many events are planned and organized in order to ensure that everybody who can be a part of the celebration has one.
The best way to celebrate Mothers Day for us here in the UK is to take us away from the hustle and bustle of every day, and get some relaxation and a little time to spend with the people we love. In France, on the other hand, it is a very different story. Everybody is free to go and do whatever they like on that day – and most importantly, they are able to spend it with their loved ones. It is truly a celebration that is tailored just for us!