Happy Mother’s Day was declared in 2021. Since then, it has grown into a huge global celebration, attracting millions of participants from every country, culture and age group. On the official website, there is a list of countries that observe Mother’s Day. With such a vast selection, it may be a daunting task to decide where to spend your time and money on this special day. In most cases Mother’s Day is spent in South Africa.
The list of countries with Mother’s Day celebrations is quite long and Mother’s Day is celebrated differently in each one. In many countries, Mother’s Day is a public holiday while others choose a date that falls within their religious calendar. Some people prefer to keep Mother’s Day private, choosing a date and time that suits them best. However, no matter how it is marked, Mother’s Day is celebrated every year on the fourth Sunday of May. This special day is highly respected by most women, especially those who have children. For them, it signifies the end of a long, hard working day, and helps them celebrate the joyous occasion with their family.
While many of us know about Mother’s Day in the US, we don’t know much about celebrations in South Africa. Most people here are just aware of the day when they get their Mother’s Day card. But for others who don’t have children, Mother’s Day is just a name. Whatever the celebration is, it seems to be enjoying great popularity all over the country.
Happy Mother’s Day celebrations can be found everywhere. Many cities and towns have their own celebrations that are focused on mothers. They include sporting events, educational programs and family fun days. Some cities also organize carnivals and other fun activities for kids as well as families. All these celebrations are organized to acknowledge the role mothers play in raising children.
Mother’s Day wishes
- Happy Mother’s Day to a woman who deserves a medal for putting up with me all these years.
- Mom, thank you so much for everything you’ve done for me. Happy Mother’s Day!
- I wish one day I could grow up to become as graceful, as strong, as loving as you are. Wishing Happy Mother’s Day to the mom who inspires me.
- Miss you Mum, can’t wait to be reunited so we can celebrate properly. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day and thanks for everything!
- Ma, you’re the light of my life. You taught me how to stand up and be my own person. You’re my guide and I love you. Happy Mother’s Day.
- You’re not a regular mom. You’re a cool mom. Correction- You’re the coolest mom. I’m so grateful for all that you are and all that you do. Happy Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day quotes
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” —Unknown
- “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Charley Benetto
- “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” —Leroy Brownlow
- “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
- “My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” —Lisa Leslie
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” —Maya Angelou
The main celebratory festival on Mother’s Day in South Africa is Mombasa. A number of events are organized in the city and throughout the country. These range from sporting events to cultural programs and family fun days. One major highlight of the day is a parade that starts at the Thula Monde stadium. Thousands of women dressed in white gather to welcome their mother with flowers, gifts and cheering. Some women even dance on the marchers, which is followed by a huge celebration in the city.
Mombasa is not the only city that holds a large family gathering to celebrate Mother’s Day. The Orange Farm festival in Bloemfontein also has a huge gathering. There are cultural and sporting events every year too. With the increase in awareness about motherhood, more women are choosing this profession. Many women now earn enough money to take care of their children and their family by setting up home in their own premises.