Happy Mother’s Day is observed on the fourth Sunday of the month of May. This day was historically founded to honor the rights of women, which began with the Industrial Revolution in England. Historically, it has been celebrated in various nations, with each culture creating its own version of the holiday. It can also be called Mother’s Day. The celebration commemorates the importance of mothers in different aspects of society such as providing child care, educating their children, etc.
On this day, people observe Mother’s Day in various ways depending on the culture and country where they live. In many countries like Liberia, the government celebrates the day by ordering decorations such as flags, banners, billboards, and signs featuring quotes and messages about mothers. The purpose of the day is to recognize the different qualities that mothers have provided for their children throughout their lives. For example, Mother’s Day in Liberia is also known as “Adelote,” a reference to the Virgin Mary.
The Virgin Mary is revered by many Christians. To this day, she is portrayed as a mother figure, with long, brown hair, great eyes, and a loving attitude. The children are often inspired to give their mother flowers, candies, or any other gifts that they think will help them feel better. Gifts of time are also valued as they believe that mothers throughout the ages have given them more time than they have had. For this reason, the event is celebrated with great joy.
The celebration is celebrated on the first Sunday of May every year. It is also referred to as Mother’s Day. In some countries, other events are also held on Mother’s Day, such as an afternoon of learning for schoolchildren. Other countries celebrate the day in a more formal manner, with massive parades, street celebrations, and special programs. These include live music, theater performances, and family programs. Celebrations in Africa and Asia usually focus on Mother’s Day with much more of an attention to women and their role as mothers.
Mother’s Day wishes
- Happy Mother’s Day to a woman who deserves a medal for putting up with me all these years.
- Mom, thank you so much for everything you’ve done for me. Happy Mother’s Day!
- I wish one day I could grow up to become as graceful, as strong, as loving as you are. Wishing Happy Mother’s Day to the mom who inspires me.
- Miss you Mum, can’t wait to be reunited so we can celebrate properly. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day and thanks for everything!
- Ma, you’re the light of my life. You taught me how to stand up and be my own person. You’re my guide and I love you. Happy Mother’s Day.
- You’re not a regular mom. You’re a cool mom. Correction- You’re the coolest mom. I’m so grateful for all that you are and all that you do. Happy Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day quotes
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” —Unknown
- “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Charley Benetto
- “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” —Leroy Brownlow
- “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
- “My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” —Lisa Leslie
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” —Maya Angelou
In some countries, children present their mother flowers on Mother’s Day. They then present their mother with a gift card, which can be redeemed later for a gift of her favorite food, clothing, or other items. In other nations, mothers are given special foods or clothes as a gift. Sometimes, mothers who have lost their husbands or are widowed are given presents just for being a mother.
The traditional Mother’s Day party includes foods that are cooked specially for mothers, usually platters of baked chicken or grilled vegetables. This is followed by a candlelight dinner, special songs, and finally, gifts are exchanged between children and their mothers. Sometimes, a special song is played during the party to signify the bond between mother and child. In many nations, children write a poem about how much their mom and dad love them. The poem is read out during the party to all the guests. This celebration may last up to a week.