The second Sunday of May each year is Mother’s Day in the United States. It is a day set apart from the fourth Sunday of May, when the president of the United States typically addresses the people. In order to commemorate Mother’s Day in a unique way, the US government celebrates this day every year. Some states have even designated a day in their state to celebrate Mothers Day, which can also be internationally recognized.
The custom dates back to the very first celebration of Mother’s Day, which was on Mother’s Day in England. During those times, English Commoners did not have access to certain medical treatments and medicines and they celebrated this day by giving lots of flowers to the women who gave birth. Even today Mother’s Day continues this tradition, and countries all over the world continue to observe this day with great fondness. However, the day is now widely celebrated in the United States, where mothers are granted much more recognition than they were even a few years ago.
Mothers Day is not only about others but about the value of every life. It is an acknowledgement of the many mothers who gave up their precious time to raise their children or help out in some way. For generations, the country has been plagued by violence towards women, and Mother’s Day has become one of the most popular causes in the country to show its support for women. This day is also meant to highlight the need for educational opportunities for girls and women in other disadvantaged sectors, such as rural areas, and provides further support for women during family emergencies. The federal government is even funding special scholarships for women, which would enable a woman to go back to college and earn an advanced degree.
In the United States, Mothers Day is also celebrated differently by different states. In some states, like Montana, the day is celebrated with parades and banners. On the other hand, in many parts of the country, the day is marked by a family picnic in a scenic park. Students give their mothers gifts on Mother’s Day. And in New York, mothers can visit the New York Mother Hospital, which offers a whole range of services to mothers, including healthcare, therapy, nutrition, childcare, home care, and education.
Mother’s Day wishes
- Happy Mother’s Day to a woman who deserves a medal for putting up with me all these years.
- Mom, thank you so much for everything you’ve done for me. Happy Mother’s Day!
- I wish one day I could grow up to become as graceful, as strong, as loving as you are. Wishing Happy Mother’s Day to the mom who inspires me.
- Miss you Mum, can’t wait to be reunited so we can celebrate properly. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day and thanks for everything!
- Ma, you’re the light of my life. You taught me how to stand up and be my own person. You’re my guide and I love you. Happy Mother’s Day.
- You’re not a regular mom. You’re a cool mom. Correction- You’re the coolest mom. I’m so grateful for all that you are and all that you do. Happy Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day quotes
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” —Unknown
- “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Charley Benetto
- “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” —Leroy Brownlow
- “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
- “My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” —Lisa Leslie
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” —Maya Angelou
But there are many countries all over the world where the day is celebrated differently. In some countries, mothers are given special privileges like being given a day off from work. In other countries, mothers are revered and celebrated on the day with grand celebrations. In Indonesia, mothering couples are believed to be the most revered individuals, while in the Arab nations, both the father and mother are revered.
However, in other countries like Belgium, Norway, Germany, and Italy, where mass celebrations are seen, the day is simply observed as a family event. Mass celebrations are seen in the morning when everyone wakes up and gives thanks to all those who have supported their family throughout the year. On Mother’s Day in Japan, where the traditional method of caring for the mother is a one way trip to a fish market, a festival is held to honor mothers, and their role in nurturing. On this special day, children present flowers to their parents and mothers buy them new clothes.