Labour Day in Canada is not the same with Labour Day in the United Kingdom. As far as the history of Labour Day is concerned, it is actually the amalgamation of two words, namely” Labour Day” and “Eid”. Labour Day is also the main celebration of International Workers Day. In both countries, this day is celebrated with a lot of pomp and pageantry.
Labour Day celebrations in Canada are quite different than those in the United Kingdom. The latter celebrate the victory of ideas over the British rule and, hence, a commemoration of the sacrifices made by the workers. Labour Day in the United Kingdom was created by the Trade Unionist (Labour) Party as an international workers’ day. It was proclaimed by a resolution of the House of Commons on 5 July 1926. The House of Commons also approved the following resolutions on the same day: that the Government will propose a bill for the alteration of the section of the act providing for the cessation of trade on the twenty-first day of June, and that the next session of the Houses of Parliament will be held on the same day.
The Bill of Rights was tabled for consideration in the House of Commons on the same day. On the same day, Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier presented his credentials to the Queen. He then proceeded to the House of Commons to give his speech on the day of publication of the Queen’s Speech. After his speech, he presented a petition, which was signed by almost one hundred and sixty Members of Parliamentarians. The speech, which can be seen on the Internet, can be found online at the British House of Commons website.
After the speech, the House of Commons rose for a vote. A motion was passed to declare that the twenty-third year of the Queen’s reign should be proclaimed the Labour Day. This motion was supported by a majority of the members present and, as is usual, an equal number of abstentions were registered. One abstention came from the Liberal party, while thirty-one abstained from the Labour benches. All the abstentions occurred outside the whips committee.
Happy Labour Day Wishes
- Happy labour day! Wishing you a wonderful day with your loved ones.
- Sending our appreciation and respect to the workers of every field. Happy Labour Day!
- All my best wishes to you on this happy labour day. Have a good day!
- This is a day for all the workers. Happy labour day to all the hardworking man and women.
- Happy May day to you all. I take this opportunity to thank you all who work for our nation.
- Let us save a day to honor you and your hard work. Enjoy your Labor Day.
- Sending good wishes of May Day to all the deserving workers of the world!
- Happy May day! I wish you all a great time with your family and friends.
- Happy Labour Day 2021! It is a day to celebrate each other and to share happiness.
- Happy labour day! Finally, your rest day has come. Enjoy the day because you deserve it.
Labour Day celebrations marked by the Queen’s Coronation attracted a lot of people. In her speech she stressed the significance of the day and the fact that it was founded by her royalist predecessor Queen Victoria. Her decision to mark the day with a Coronation Walk symbolized the new century of which she was the head of state. She talked about the spirit of the age that was optimistic about the future, and she stressed that it was a time of peace, of progress and of freedom.
The Labour Day celebrations this year are set to be bigger than ever before. It is rumoured that the government will announce a further boost of funding for the event in the summer months. The exact date for the Walk is still to be confirmed, but the party leaders have already indicated that it will take place on the second Saturday of May, which is a national holiday in the United Kingdom. It is expected that a cast will be invited to walk alongside Queen Victoria and her immediate family. The Labour Day parade will likely follow soon after.