Matt Lauer is an American journalist best known for his coverage of the media industry. Matt Lauer was born in 1964 in Buffalo, New York. He is of Greek and Jewish descent. He studied drama at the University of Utah, receiving a bachelor’s degree in communications. He worked in marketing before landing a job in news and began his career as a reporter at the nightly news after graduating.
Matt Lauer’s career spanned four decades, during which he covered everything from politics to fashion to movie gossip. In addition to his reporting work, he became a popular television figure, hosting several popular talk shows and making his debut on the popular Dateline. Matt Lauer became one of the highest-rated guests in the history of the show, consistently earning high ratings. He also appeared on several popular talk shows, frequently hosted by Oprah Winfrey. Matt Lauer was married three times, first to Lisa Kramer, with whom he had a son, and later to Brigitte Neilson.
Matt Lauer Personal Details
- Date Of Birth: 30 December 1957
- Birth Place: New York City, New York, USA
- Birth Name: Matthew Todd Lauer
- Nick Name: Matt
- Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
- Occupation: Television journalist
- Nationality: American
- Ethnicity: White
- Religion: Half Jewish
Matt Lauer Body Measurements
- Weight in Pounds: 150 lbs
- Weight in Kilogram: 68 kg
- Height in Feet: 5′ 11″
- Height in Meters: 1.80 m
- Shoe Size: 11 (US)
- Hair Color: Brown
- Eye Color: Brown
Matt Lauer Family Details
- Father: Robert Lauer (Bicycle-company executive)
- Mother: Marilyn Lauer (Boutique owner)
- Spouse: Annette Roque (m. 1998), Nancy Alspaugh (m. 1981-1988)
- Children: Romy Lauer, Thijs Lauer, Jack Matthew Lauer
- Siblings: April Lauer Stone (Sister)
Matt Lauer Education
- Ohio University (1975–1979)
- Greenwich High School
- Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana
- He was educated at Ohio University, Athens, Ohio where he majored in communications.
Matt Lauer Facts
- In 1997, he was chosen by “People” magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
- His father’s family is Ashkenazi Jewish (from Romania and Poland).
- His mother’s ancestry is English, as well as Scottish, Northern Irish (Scots-Irish), German, and Dutch.
- His wife, Annette Roque, filed for divorce in 2006, while she was pregnant with their third child, but withdrew the request after the couple underwent counseling.
Matt Lauer was originally set to replace the retiring John King on the Today Show, but was replaced after King announced that he would be promoting a golfing show. After that, Lauer became the co-anchor of the show, before being given the top spot, with Brian Williams, for the 2021 broadcast of the Thanksgiving Day special. From that time until now, Matt Lauer has served as the main anchor for the noon and early evening news programs on NBC. During this time, Matt Lauer has covered everything from the White House to celebrities. He has been featured on some of the most memorable news stories, including the Oklahoma City tornado, Hurricane Katrina, the murder, and even obtained rare footage of elusive missing Malaysian airways flight.
Matt Lauer has since moved into a new role as co-anchor of the weekend edition of The New York Live five. The New York Live Five is where Lauer replaces Amy Grant, who left the show after the conclusion of the 2021 holiday season. This move came about after allegations that Variety magazine obtained and published an email in which Lauer and the writer had discussed sexual misconduct in the workplace.
Following the news of the emails, which surfaced, and following public pressure, Matt Lauer issued a statement saying that he “certainly did not take any improper actions or make any inappropriate remarks.” However, in light of the fact that Variety and other media outlets had obtained portions of the alleged correspondence, and that Matt Lauer continued to discuss his alleged sexual misconduct while he was employed by The New York Times, and other media outlets, the New York State Attorneys General and Human Resources Department asked Matt Lauer to resign. Matt Lauer has given The New York Times a brief description of what took place during his time at the Times, but he has not provided any details on what happened between him and the Journal reporter. As previously stated, Mr. Lauer is no longer with the company. The investigation is ongoing.
In the wake of all this, Matt Lauer, thanks to his role as co-anchor of the weekend edition of The New York Live, is now getting some well-deserved attention in the press. On the web site, Wowk-TV, Matt Lauer’s wife, Ellen DeGeneres, is blogging about the whole affair. She says that, despite all the attention that Matt Lauer’s situation is getting, she and her husband do not regret signing on for the two-hour long show that they call Matt Lauer Live. The couple has endured some criticism from other bloggers and television producers for their decision to co-host, but Ellen DeGeneres makes a strong case for it being the best use of time that they ever could have had.