Meredith Vieira is an American stand up comedy writer and actress. She is most notably known as the first host of the famous daytime talk show The View, as co-anchor of the popular game show Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and as host of Today’s primetime news show Today. She has also hosted other popular TV shows including Betrayal, Real Time with Bill Simmons, and The New York Times Op-Ed column. It is her comic timing, wit, sarcasm, and smarts that make her the perfect guest host for any comedy television show.
Born and raised in Massachusetts, Meredith Vieira grew up in the small town of New Hampshire where she began to hone her observational powers at a very young age. As an adult, she moved back to Massachusetts to pursue a career in stand up comedy writing. During this time, she also developed a love for the medical profession which would bring her into the writing field of medicine.
Meredith Vieira Personal Information
- Date Of Birth: 30 December 1953
- Age: 66 Years Old
- Birth Place: Providence, Rhode Island, USA
- Birth Name: Meredith Louise Vieira
- Nickname: Ditz, Ditzy, MV
- Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
- Occupation: Journalist, TV host
- Nationality: American
- Race/Ethnicity: White (Is of Portuguese descent)
- Religion: She has “spirituality, not a religion”.
- Hair Color: Light Brown
- Eye Color: Brown
Meredith Vieira Body Statistics
- Weight in Pounds: 150 lbs
- Weight in Kilogram: 68 kg
- Height in Feet: 5′ 3″
- Height in Meters: 1.60 m
- Body Type / Build: Slim
- Body Shape: Hourglass
- Body Measurements: 38-29-38 in (97-74-97 cm)
- Breast Size: 38 inches (97 cm)
- Waist Size: 29 inches (74 cm)
- Hips Size: 38 inches (97 cm)
- Bra Size/Cup Size: 36B
- Feet/Shoe Size: 10 (US)
- Dress Size: 10 (US)
Meredith Vieira Family Details
- Father: Edwin Vieira (medical doctor)
- Mother: Mary Elsie Rosa Silveira Vieira (homemaker)
- Spouse: Richard M. Cohen (m. 1986)
- Children: Lily Max Cohen (Daughter), Benjamin Edwin Cohen (Son), Gabriel Anthony Cohen (Son)
- Siblings: Steve Vieira (Brother), Jeff Vieira (Brother), Edwin Vieira (Brother)
Meredith Vieira Education
- Lincoln School, Tufts University (1975)
- She graduated from the Lincoln School, an all-girls’ Quaker school in Providence, Rhode Island.
- She graduated from Tufts University with a degree in English in 1975.
Meredith Vieira Facts
- She is of Portuguese descent.
- She has a fear of bridges.
- Her older brother Edwin Vieira, Jr. is a political activist.
- She hosted the game show “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”.
- She succeeded Katie Couric as the host of The Today Show in 2006.
After several years in the writing business, she decided to turn professional by developing a stage production of The Mentalist, which was performed off-broadway in New Hampshire. Following the success of her first production, she decided to move to Providence, Rhode Island and opened her own stand up comedy club, The Stand Up Guys. Following the success of her club, she expanded her venture into a reality television series entitled Me, Myself, and Irene. The show became a hit and was a number one reality show on Vh1. At the end of its first season, it was the top show in the ratings. It went on to become one of the highest rated late night talk shows of all time.
Meredith Vieira’s career in news journalism has been very diverse. She has covered everything from crime and courtroom news to local news. She has also won several awards for her reporting, including an honor for excellence in reporting from New Hampshire. In 2021, she returned to her day job as a news journalist in the Scripps Howard station in San Diego, California. She covered the earthquake in Haiti as well as the Gulf oil spill.
Meredith Vieira’s love of traveling and her love of children have brought her to several locations around the world. She has covered the aftermath of hurricanes in the Caribbean, interviewing people on the beach and reporting on the aftermath in her home country of Massachusetts. She has also traveled extensively to cover sports tournaments such as the Olympics in Brazil and the soccer World Cup. She has covered natural disasters such as hurricanes in the south Atlantic and the tsunami in Indonesia.
As a news announcer and anchor at WRCR WCRG Radio in Providence, Rhode Island, Meredith Vieira brings a unique perspective to the radio industry. She brings a positive and informative voice to the airwaves. She is able to bring a friendly, casual and humorous attitude to her broadcasting style. Her energetic personality is what is making her so appealing to many of her fans and listeners. She is extremely likable by most everyone that hears her voice.