Happy Mother’s Day was yesterday (the 21st of May) when the government celebrates mother’s day with the same respect it does every year. Unlike the United States, where Mother’s Day is a made up holiday, that is not without controversy. In China for example, it is very different and Mother’s Day in China is called “praising motherhood” day. It is a special festival to honor mothers, and there is a great deal of respect shown to them.
On Mother’s Day, children give gifts to their mothers as an expression of love, friendship, and appreciation. On this day in Vietnamese culture, especially in Hanoi, people put grass mats on their mothers’ laps and offer candies and cakes. The women will then enjoy a long bath together with the men, while the men watch quietly to make sure they do not disturb the women. A young girl will then cook for her mother and serve her with dinner. This meal together symbolizes the bond of love that the mother has with her daughter.
On Happy Mother’s Day, children will receive presents and flowers from their parents. Often, the child will put the flowers on her mother’s lap, as if to say she loves her very much. Children will also dress their momma in some special attire for the day. The flower girl and ring bearer, along with the mothers of all the children, sing songs thanking God for making them grow up into good girls. Sometimes there is a very special moment when mothers hold their daughters close and kiss them. Then the mothers will feed them and give them candies or cakes.
On this day, the government publishes a number of articles about Mother’s Day in the national newspaper. This is where you can find the list of places where you can buy gifts for your mother. These include floral arrangements and homemade gifts, such as quilts and cookies. Although many of the items are expensive, they can be sent via mail. Many businesses also organize local events for people who want to give Mother’s Day gifts.
Mother’s Day wishes
- Happy Mother’s Day to a woman who deserves a medal for putting up with me all these years.
- Mom, thank you so much for everything you’ve done for me. Happy Mother’s Day!
- I wish one day I could grow up to become as graceful, as strong, as loving as you are. Wishing Happy Mother’s Day to the mom who inspires me.
- Miss you Mum, can’t wait to be reunited so we can celebrate properly. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day and thanks for everything!
- Ma, you’re the light of my life. You taught me how to stand up and be my own person. You’re my guide and I love you. Happy Mother’s Day.
- You’re not a regular mom. You’re a cool mom. Correction- You’re the coolest mom. I’m so grateful for all that you are and all that you do. Happy Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day quotes
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” —Unknown
- “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Charley Benetto
- “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” —Leroy Brownlow
- “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
- “My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” —Lisa Leslie
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” —Maya Angelou
Some people believe that it is better to send Mother’s Day gifts to people in person, but this might not always be the best option. For instance, if you have a friend living far away, it may be hard for you to send her a gift by regular mail. If you know her fondly and have a feeling that she would like a particular gift, it would be much better if you could pick up the phone and call her to tell her that you have remembered her birthday, mother’s day gift and ask if she would like them.
In many places around the world, this tradition continues even today. Many people still exchange cards and gift papers on Mother’s Day. In fact, many mothers would rather exchange one gift to their daughter than spend a fortune sending numerous greeting cards. It’s nice to know that at least someone out there remembers your special day every year!